Stavanger Lutheran Church
A Lutheran faith community whose mission is to help people grow in their relationship with God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
A Basic Summary of Our Faith:
- We believe that the Bible is God’s authoritative Word to humanity and is therefore our primary guide for Christian faith and living – our life is a response to God’s revelation of Himself in His Word.
- God’s Word consists of both His moral standards (Law) and His promises of mercy and forgiveness for sinners (Gospel).
- God is One and yet three distinct Persons – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- Though humanity was created by God for an intimate relationship with their Creator, it rebelled against Him; and outside of God’s own intervention in Jesus Christ it remains estranged from Him.
- God out of love sent His divine Son Jesus in a real human body to live a perfect moral life, to die on the cross, and to rise from the dead so that we can be given His righteousness, be forgiven of all our sins, and be restored to eternal life and relationship with our Creator.
- We believe that God gives the benefits of Jesus’ life, death, and resurrection as free gifts of His grace to sinners who confess their need for Jesus as their Savior.
- God delivers these gifts to us through His Word (the Bible) and His Sacraments (Baptism and the Lord’s Supper).
- We receive these gifts through a humble faith and dependence on God’s work for us in Jesus – to God be the glory.
- Our acts of goodness as Christians are our response to God’s great mercy to us in Christ and are not an attempt to earn His favor – we already have that in Jesus.
- We believe that a personal relationship with our God and Savior Jesus is not only the secret to future eternal peace but it is also the most meaningful life of joy one can live in the here and now. The Joy of the Lord is our strength.